History

       

1909 Fukuoka Medical College, the predecessor of Kyushu Imperial University, established in Kyoto Imperial University
1911 Kyushu Imperial University was founded
1922 Kyushu Imperial University Library inaugurated
1925 The new library was opened at Hakozaki Campus
1926 "Hirose Collection" was deposited by Fukuoka Private Library
(The first academic collection of Kyushu Univ. Library)
1933 The "Catalogue of Kyushu Imperial University Library" was issued
1944 To avoiddamage during the war, many of the stored books were moved from library to Dazaifu Shrine or other areas outside the prefecture
1947 Kyushu Imperial University became Kyushu University. The name of Library changes to Kyushu University Library
The Central Library Room of the Faculty of Medicine was inaugurated
1950 Kyushu Regional Conference of University Libraries was inaugurated
1956 The new library of the Faculty of Medicine was completed and opened (the first branch library of Kyushu University Library)
Photocopy service was introduced
1959 The Library of General Education was inaugurated
(the second branch library)
1965 Kyushu University Library Bulletin "Toshokan Joho" was first issued
1968 Kyushu Institute of Design founded. Kyushu Institute of Design Library was inaugurated
1970 "Library of the Faculty of Medicine" was renamed to "Medical Library"
1972 New Library of Kyushu Institute of Design opened
The new Central Library was completed and opened next year
1977 The Medical Library was designated as the National Center for Overseas Periodicals in medical and biological areas)
1978 "The Tale of Yamato" in Kuchinashi Collection was designated national important cultural property
1980 The new library of General Education opened
1981 The library online computer system was launched for the first time for national universities in Japan. Started as the Becomes regional center of Northern Kyushu District Joining National Universities' Library System
The new Medical Library was completed and opened next year
1986 Connected to the National Center for Science Information Systems (NACSIS)
1987 The Central Library enlarged its building
1992 OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog) service was introduced
1994 The Library of General Education was renamed to "Ropponmatsu Library" after the reorganization of College of General Education
1996 Research and Development Division was organized
1998 A new 24-hour service without any staff started at the Medical Library with users using magnetic authorization cards
The publication of "Collected Papers" won the Award of Japan Association of National University Libraries (Medical Library)
1999 The "Web of Science" was introduced
The Library Exchange Agreement was concluded with Seoul National University Library
2000 The Chikushi Central Library Room opened
2001 Chikushi Central Library Room was reestablished as Chikushi Library, which is the third branch library
2002 The Library Exchange Agreement was concluded with Kyungpook National University Central Library
2003 Library system utilizing IC Tags was launched at the Chikushi Library
Kyushu University was integrated with Kyushu Institute of Design. Design Library was inaugurated as the fourth branch library
The Library Exchange Agreement was concluded with National Taiwan University  Library
2004 Kyushu University became the National University Corporation, Kyushu University 
New Chikushi Library was reopened in a new building. Automated storage and retrieval system were introduced (for the first time in domestic universities)
The memorandum on business tie-up was exchanged with Seoul National University Library
The program of "The Seminar of Early Printed Latin Books" won the Award of Japan Association of National University Libraries
2005 Humanities and Social Sciences Library was opened
Manuscript Library was established, attached to the Library
Science and Technology Library opened with the inauguration of Ito Campus as the fifth branch library
2006 Kyushu University Institutional Repository "QIR" was launched
Kyushu University Library Bulletin "Cute Newsletter" was first issued
2007 A Library Exchange Agreement was concluded with the University of Toronto Libraries
2009 Ropponmatsu Library was closed due to relocation of the campus to the new Ito campus
The Science and Technology Library was renamed the Ito Library
The second-phase expansion of the Ito Library was completed
2010 An academic Exchange Agreement was concluded with the National Institute of Japanese Literature
2011 The Innovation Center for Educational Resource, which is attached to the library, was established
2012 The Discovery Service was introduced
A Library Exchange Agreement was concluded with the University Library at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
2016 "Kyushu University Open Access Policy" was adopted
The fully refurbished Ito Library was re-opened
"Library Lovers' Campaign" won an Award from the Japan Association of National University Libraries
The new Central Library completed the first phase of construction and started its regular service

 

Category: 
Overview