From the rare materials in the Hama Collection of Kyushu University, we have digitized 190 items, and made them available in the Kyushu University Collections.
戯単(xi dan) is a playbill and a program in Chinese theater. This is the valuable material that records the actual performance and direction of a play.
The Playbills Collection of the Hama Collection includes playbills, posters and other materials from theaters and movie theater booklets from Beijing and other districts of China from around 1934 to 1939. The following is the list of the Playbills Collection that has been released.
List of the public materials (pdf format)
Example of a playbill
Source: Jixiang Theater, Playbill [August 17, 23, Minguo] Night Play (浜文庫/集 181/62)
For the convenience of researchers, the metadata of the Playbills Collection indicates roman readings, periods, and ages as follows
- As the materials are in Chinese, the title can be searched in Pinyin.
- New and old calendars have been added to “Temporal”.
- It is available to search by title or performer by noting the title and the main cast in the table of contents field.
- ※For a detailed description of each xi dan, please refer to "Hama Bunko Gitan Zuroku: Chinese Playbills Collection" edited by Satoshi Nakazatomi and Tsuneo Matsuura (Hana-shoin, 2021)
How to search
You can search the Kyushu University Collections in the following ways.
Reuse of digitized images
All published images can be freely used, including modification and commercial use, free of charge without a prior application for use. Please use all means.
Reference:Reuse of digitized images of rare materials
- Kyushu University Collections > Library Collections > Hama Collection
- Satoshi Nakazatomi, A Chronological Catalogue of Chinese Opera Playbills Possessed in Hama Kazue Collection of Kyushu University Library (Studies in Chinese Literature, 37, pp.1-14)
- Satoshi Nakazatomi and Tsuneo Matsuura eds., Hama Bunko Gitan Zuroku: Chinese Playbills Collection (Hana-shoin, 2021)
This publication was made possible in collaboration with JSPS Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (JP16H03405, PI: Satoshi Nakazatomi), (JP21K00328, PI: Satoshi Nakazatomi).
Kyushu University Library, e-Resource Section
Kyushu University Library, East Zone, Central Library, 744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka 819-0395, Japan